As surprising as it may sound, Austin’s most iconic taco brand had never activated at Austin’s most iconic experience: SXSW. In 2019, Torchy’s Tacos challenged Edible to make some serious noise during SXSW, driving awareness and conversation about their Damn Good Tacos. Going into this, Edible knew two things:
- Anyone who travels to Austin during SXSW already had tacos (and even more likely, Torchy’s Tacos) on their agenda
- The weather in Austin during SXSW is historically unpredictable and uncooperative
How We Did It
Edible worked with Australia’s leading ‘float-down eatery’ and made SXSW attendees’ dreams come true by making it rain tacos over downtown Austin.
Teased on social minutes before the drop, this highly visual and impactful moment drove brand- authentic content and conversations, not to mention brought tacos directly to the people via ‘Tachochutes’ floating down from the sky.
Additionally, Edible worked with Torchy’s to create surround sound awareness via additional marketing-led initiatives and partnerships to amplify the brand throughout SXSW, including:
- “Tiny House” pop-up activation in partnership with DoorDash on Rainey Street
- Ultimate Taco Party for SXSW Media and VIP attendees featuring all 12 Tacos of the Month under one roof, and showcasing Torchy’s newest restaurant model
- More than 110 media placements, garnering 25M+ impressions, across top national, regional and local outlets
- National distribution via FOX Newspath to hundreds of local FOX affiliates across the U.S.
- Domination of social conversation on day of stunt, with thousands of SXSW attendees (and consumers across the country) engaging on social around Tachochute stunt, including a social reach of nearly 500,000